Monday, April 6, 2009

The Most Spectacular Show On Earth


"I don't talk much about those days. Never did. I don't know why--I worked on circuses for nearly seven years, and if that isn't fodder for conversation, I don't know what is.

Actually I do know why: I never trusted myself. I was afraid I'd let it slip. I knew how important it was to keep her secret, and keep it I did--for the rest of her life, and then beyond.

In seventy years, I've never told a blessed soul." (Prologue, pg 4, Water For Elephants)


Water For Elephants was a wonderful story. It had me from page one and I was hoping the ending would be as great as the story. I was not disappointed. The story is told by Jacob Jankowski and alternates between present day (at age 90 or 93, he's not sure) and the summer of 1931, at age 23, when by circumstances of fate, Jacob joins a traveling train circus. While the backdrop is very interesting and colorful, this story is so much more than a story about a circus. It's about Jacob's friendships, experiences, and passion. It's a must-read. (5.0/5.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment